Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Banner Day for the Larsens

Well, it's been one of those days. In a 12-hour span, I've cleaned up dog pooh, Sophie pee and Maggie throwup. (and Spencer's cereal which sprayed all over the floor, but that's just a daily occurence.)

Charlotte (Sophie's BFF) came over to show us their new dog, Priya, who wagged her tail, played real cute, then barfed on my front room rug. Then as we were running out the door to teach my classes in St. Anthony, Sophie missed the toilet by a foot (her first accident in months) and left a huge puddle on the bathroom floor. She got extra credit for timing it perfectly. Then Maggie came home from school green as a frog and has been camping out on the bathroom floor ever since. (Don't worry, it got sanitized after Sophie's mess. Plus this was an entirely different bathroom.) She's usually good to hit the toilet when she vomits, but not today. Lucky me. Moms out there, I know you share my joy.

But Spencer just climbed onto my lap, wrapped his sticky, skinny little arms around my neck, and gave me a completely unsolicited kiss. I didn't even have to bribe him to do it. Aw. Even when covered in gravy, slime or ooze, they're still pretty cute...

I will say that when my kids get sick, the extreme motherhood adrenaline kicks in and I go into supermom mode. I do my best parenting if fevers, sick tummies, or sore throats threaten my brood. Sleep? Who needs it? personal time? what for? my offspring NEED me. Here come the smoothies and the chicken soup, the bedside manner and the Children's Motrin. I awake ten times a night on autopilot to check for cold feet or sweaty brows. Armed with icy ginger ale, soothing fingers and antibacterial wipes, I battle like a true soldier.

Then they get better and life goes back to normal. Oh well. At least for that shining moment they can tell I love them. Nothing says "I love you" like cleaning up someone's puke, right?

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we were given adrenaline and maternal instincts, or else who would ever do that kind of stuff?! I'll have to remember the ice cold ginger ale. Your kids are lucky to have you Minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you come to my house when my kids are sick? Puke makes me want to run away, run away...and potty on the ground? The big, bad momma comes out at that point. Arghhh. How do my kids know I love them...hmmmm....does making chocolate chip cookies every week count? (Even if they really are for me...)
    Love you, minds!
    Karsen

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a super mama Mind. We are just coming off a solid week of raging fevers with chest coughs/runny noses/sore throats and I think it got the best of me by day 6. Getting up with baby and then the other kids as well was pretty tough after many days. Poor Chandler was a little thrown by my frazzled state. Now that kids are healing and back at school today, I am returning to happy mama. I can go on little sleep for a few days but after a couple months with a newborn, I haven't handled this one well. I am inspired by your good attitude dear friend. Come help me after you go to Karsen's!

    ReplyDelete