Monday, July 13, 2009

Aspen Grove

Well, I have a lot of catching up to do. As you can see, it's already July and I haven't covered any of June's many and varied activities, almost all of them blog-worthy. So here goes.

Dad scheduled a week-long Hunter family reunion in June up in Apen Grove, a gorgeous mountain retreat high up among the peaks of the Wasatch Mountains. I kinda had my doubts about going there - I had vague memories of dated A-frame cabins, group party games which traditionally I detest, and limited dining options. But after a week of the Aspen Grove experience, I'm won over.
It's a great vacation for families. You can stay in a rustic A frame if you want, but Dad got us suites in the new Beckham Lodge right next to the dining hall instead. All the rooms had two bedrooms, bathroom and sitting area, and all opened up to a great room where all the adults congregated in the evenings after the kids were asleep. The food was okay - I could have used some more options but really very edible. (Plus Mom stocked up our community kitchen with all sorts of goodies to tide us over!) And best of all, there were kids camps which took the kids for us every day for two three-hour sessions so the parents had time for themselves! Even Spencer (2) and Kate's 6 week-old Wyatt had their own places to go. It was so great! I got to nap, hike with Gary, swim, and generally refill my bucket before joyfully gathering my offspring from their camps every day for some quality family time. LOVED it.

Highlights:

-The scenery was UNREAL beautiful.
-Hiking with the fam!

-All the activities (playgrounds, basketball and tennis courts, paintball - have you recovered from your battle wounds yet Joe? - ropes courses, arts and crafts, archery, swimming, miniature golf, badminton, etc etc etc)
-Frontier Night! We got to ride a mini train, pan for gold, get our faces painted, listen to Indian tales in a teepee, play in the awesome western villiage, play pioneer games, and throw axes at pieces of wood! Hm, I probably wouldn't make that great of a pioneer...
- Spencer loved the guns! (of course)

-Be with my dear family! (get wrestled to the floor by Josh as usual; watch Papa teach Josh MD some super special surgical tips; play Settlers of Catan with Pete and Josh; talk with the sisters and mom; watch So You Think You Can Dance with everyone up at the Lodge; hold brand new baby Wyatt; watch Soph and Jack be the sweet ones together; play Take Two, Scum and Five Crowns with everyone...)

Thank you Nana and Papa for WONDERFUL memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment