Saturday, February 20, 2010

Why I Love Winter



10. I don't have to shave regularly!

9. Staying inside had been key to potty training Spencer. Since we rarely willingly go anywhere in this weather (thank goodness we're all homebodies!) he's been running around the house naked and amazingly, that's done the trick! Well, that, and the Halloween candy I give him after every successful attempt...is it really this easy? I think we all find comfort in routine; there's plenty of time in the summer to break all schedules and try new things!

8. Staying home also makes me want to organize, so I get all my closets and pantries cleaned out! Very satisfying.

7. Waking up to the miracle of a new snow glittering across the fields. Occasionally our back balcony "grows" snow crystals overnight (because it's so bloody cold here) and the effect is dazzling!

6. Snow days! I love keeping my little sweeties home; we have impromptu parties with the neighborhood kids and make crepes or Lion House salt water taffy.

5. Experimenting with my fav brands and flavors of hot chocolate, yogi teas and creamers

4. Discovering fun new hobbies like ice skating and snow cave making with the kids

3. Sledding at Rigby lake

2. Craving yummy, stick-to-you-ribs comfort food like turkey dinners, apple crisps, baked potato soup, cheeses and breads, and anything with bacon and bleu cheese.

1. Playing in the snow with the kids, and watching them discover what I once knew and then forgot - that a mountain of snow is a world of possibilities.
So, in fairness, here is what I don't like about winter:
4. Driving in the snow. Nuff said.
3.Being cold. :-) I microwave these rice-filled bag thingies, like portable hot pads, which I take around the house and to bed to get my feet warm enough so I can fall asleep. I don't mind getting bundled up, but I don't like it when I can't get warm.
2.Gary's inevitable, 2-month period of constant illness. What is with that, anyway??? In spite of all our best efforts, it always hits like a brick wall. And doesn't go away for weeks.
1. The fact that it takes 45 minutes to get all the kids snow stuff on every time they want to go outside. And what happens to all those gloves we had? The snow monster must eat them because darned if I know where they went! Maybe it was Talullah...

2 comments:

  1. How do you make salt water taffy? I love not shaving - and it's "your only link to reality on a date"- name that movie! Wish we could come build snow caves with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post actually made me miss winter...not an easy feat! You inspire me on how to make my home life more creative and fun, especially since I've become a real home-body, even with great weather. I love you, Minds!

    ReplyDelete