Monday, June 7, 2010

My New Favorite Smoothie

Ah, the secret of the Green Smoothie. Why did no-one ever tell me that if you blend spinach and other greens with water in a blender, then add regular smoothie ingredients (bananas, berries, ice, plain yogurt or silken tofu, etc) you can't taste the spinach??? Seriously, what a great trick, especially as I have a couple of picky eaters! And, because before, I didn't know how to use kale or chard. (who does?) Anyway, it's been a fascinating and delicious couple of weeks.

Here's my most recent fav. It's definitely a green Green Smoothie, which I guess I can tolerate well because I worked in a juice store one summer during college and acclimated my taste buds to really healthy tasting things. But the health benefits are astronomical, and after a body-destroying day of gardening, hiking or, um, reading Jane Austen novels, I feel like this smoothie really helps my body heal.

Mindy's Green Smoothie
Ingredients (all of these are approximate or to taste):

small handful washed spinach leaves
other green leafies, like kale, cabbage or chard
1/4 lemon, rind included
1/2 inch peeled fresh ginger
fresh parsely (optional - adds to the freshness)

Blend well. Then add:
ice
1 banana
1 pear or apple, seeded
agave nectar to taste
any additives like bee pollen, ground flax, wheat germ, etc.

Blend well and give yourself a gold star for good health today! It makes a lot, so if you can only eat some of it, put the remainder in the fridge, then blend it up tomorrow with ice and it will still be great.

No comments:

Post a Comment