Sunday, September 5, 2010

First Day of School 2010

We had smiley faces and enthusiasm for the first day of 4th grade for Maggie and kindergarten for Sophie! Each girl got a silver necklace with a butterfly pendant engraved with "CTR". We're really pushing choice and consequences this year, and I thought that would help them face the challenge of all the decisions they will be up against as they settle into their new routine.

After a breakfast at home of crepes and turkey bacon, we went out to our annual neighborhood first day of school breakfast. (Did I say how much I love my neighborhood?!?) We took the much-requested nutella crepes which were gone before the prayer was even said, but our cocoa ripple ring (courtesy of the Best Homes cookbook) was a hit, as were the Franson's steaming hot huckleberry muffins and the Ricks' Rolo doughnuts (don't ask, just eat!). Here is a banner lovely Dawn made for the bus drivers; it says "we love our bus drivers" and all the kids signed it. The last "I love you" as Maggie got on the bus... and as I started to cry (I'm such a boob)...
This is what I saw when they got home. Sophie: all smiles. Loved the whole day, her teacher, her new friends, recess, riding the bus home. She's almost six so she's been waiting for this for a long time!
Maggie: my eternal drama queen. Eventually she admitted to me that all was well, that she had plenty of friends in her class and that her teacher was fine. But first she had to pull this, just to get my attention I guess:

We celebrated an overall successful first day with huckleberry milkshakes and cuddles. Then Mags took Bella on a walk and we started in on our first round of homework for the year. On your mark, get set, GO - the school year has officially begun!

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving the first day of school outfits! What adorable children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of giving them a CTR necklace. You are brilliant my dear. And how fun that your neighborhood does a breakfast together that first day.

    Your girls look adorable for their big day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do wish I were in your neighborhood too! Especially for your breakfasts! Sophie has been one patient girl- that will be Gabe too. He'll be 6 before he starts school. Oh well- what's the rush? Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete