Friday, December 28, 2012

My take on Les Miserables (the Movie)

Okay, Mindy's Take on Les Mis (hold all applause or rotten tomatoes until the end please).
 
'Les Miserables' Clip: 'At the End of the Day'
Loved: Anne Hathaway. She was stunning! Total surprise. I wanted her to have her hair back for the last scene though, and to be dressed in white.

Hugh Jackman (though I still prefer Alfie Boe's Bring Him Home) was an inspired Valjean. Mature, musical, soulful. Didn't love his Bring Him Home - wanted a softer dynamic, like a prayer, rather than a belt - but he was a good solid choice to play one of my big heroes.

Loved Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop (made me cry) and how he reappeared at Valjean's death - perfect.
'Les Miserables' Clip: On My Own
Liked: Eponine, though I wanted her to vocally let it rip a bit more, and Marius, despite his chin wobbles.
'Les Miserables' First Look
Passable: the Thenardiers (I wanted more camp, I guess, like the musical, and less sex), Amanda Seyfried (can hit but not transcend the note - no depth to her voice. Seriously, you couldn't get a real singer?). I wanted a more striking Enjolras, like the guy who played it in the 25th anniversary concert, but the movie Enjolras was good too.
'Les Miserables' Clip: Parole
Dislike: Russell Crowe was totally miscast. Not angular, not a singer, Stars was disappointing. His eyes are all wrong for Javert - too puppydog. Didn't like how they had Eponine ambush rather than help Marius's commucations with Cosette - loses her character development. Hated the general handheld camera movement, crazy editing and weird filming angles - unnecessarily distracting from a beautiful story. I felt like I rarely knew where I was - so jerky. And the constant closeups got really old. For example, I think "Empty Chairs" would have been so much more effective had they focused on the empty room where Marius was singing, rather than on the freckles on his cheeks.

Did it move me? Yes. Did I cry? Several times. It's a good movie, intense and emotional... but it could have been better if they hadn't tried so hard to make it artsy. Simplicity is part of the incredible power of the stage production.

2 comments:

  1. I love your review, Mindy. It very nearly sums up all my feelings exactly. Except that I didn't cry. Not one little tear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried when I saw Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop and at the end when Fantine comes back and Valjean goes to meet the bishop in heaven. That was it... but I enjoyed the sound of sniffing all through the theater! :-)

    ReplyDelete