Monday, June 8, 2009

Mad May!!!

May was a crazy time in the Larsen household, which is why I didn't blog or facebook much. We had Maggie's ballet dance concert, her Mother's Day program at school, Sophie's preschool graduation from Mrs. Broadheads', chasing Spencer constantly down the street, and our Footworks clogging studio concert. And the end of May is the Rexburg approved time to plant your garden (I'm so jealous of those of you with long grow seasons!!!).


This is my first garden EVER (apart from some pumpkins I think we grew as kids on Ambassador Way); we've never lived anywhere long enough (or anywhere with a yard big enough) to have a garden. And now we live in Garden Central - at least I had lots of local expertise to help me! I will say, it took a lot out of me. Preparing the soil, designing my layout and actually doing the planting took a good two weeks, almost full time. Take a look: TA DA!

I'm so proud. It's actually even started growing! We planted sweet corn, peas, sugar snap peas,bush beans, onions, potatoes, lettuce, carrots, zucchini, hubbard squash, spaghetti squash, and two or three kinds of pumpkin. And cilantro, basil and rosemary. And oh yeah, watermelon, tomatoes, broccoli and honeydew melon, but we're not sure they'll actually grow here. Then we planted 15 raspberry bushes and four fruit trees. We'll see if any of it actually turns out, but we have a good start. And now when I hear quotes like "we will see the day when we live on what we produce" (Pres. Marion G. Romney) I won't freak out quite so much.

Ignore the rest of the yard; it's mostly weedy parking lot for the dance studio, but we have big plans!

Here's a video on YouTube of Maggie's dance concert; we'll have more soon for the clogging concert.


And here are her closeups:
And Sophies:

And, well, Spencer of the Chicken Legs:Happy Spring!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited for your garden! It is fulfilling even if it takes forever. Way to go Maggie!! Right in front driving the audience wild!! And congrats to Sophie on graduation! We're so excited for this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW Mindy! Your blog entries are awesome. I had no idea video could be a part of it. That is so great. Maggie is awesome! and that is an amazing amount in your garden! You are now an official Idahoan! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete