Wednesday, June 3, 2009

"Reating"

Maggie just gave a name to one of my favorite pastimes. I love, love, love to just sit and read a book while nibbling on whatever comes in handy (frozen grapes, caramel popcorn, carrots and ranch, Haagen Daas... whatever). I've been reading a book Karsen sent me called "Katherine" about the 14th century Katherine Swynford and it's delightful, which means that I tend to either ignore the kids all day while I closet myself off with my book, or else make myself tired and short tempered the next day by staying up all night reading. Anyway, tonight after dinner I lingered at the dinner table while the kids played around me, nibbling on my enchilada leftovers and Chapter 12 when Maggie came up to me and said, "hey mom, you're 'reating'! Get it? Reading and eating at the same time?" We both got a good laugh at that, and now I have a name for my habit. "Reating." Yes, I am a reater.

1 comment:

  1. I love that she came up with that! She's one smart cookie, for sure! I would have to be a 'reater' too..currently going over Harry Potter again, before the movie comes out next month so it's not as stressful as trying to reat something new.

    ReplyDelete