Tuesday, December 6, 2011

It's late and I'm emotional...

How terrible that this is our last week in Ireland! I'm really quite depressed about it. Firstly, I hate goodbyes. Secondly, we've been SO happy here. Looking through this blog, I relive what we've seen and done and it awes me a bit. Bunratty, the Burren, Dublin, Killarney, Kerry, Dingle, Adare, Carcassonne, Nimes, Paris... did we really just do that? Holy cow!

I will miss my kitchen here, my electric kettle and the sofa where I read with Spence every day. I love that I did Zumba dozens of times right in front of the mini fridge. (I won't miss the mini fridge though! or all the black and white - so hard to keep clean!) I'll miss the basil growing in my window, and the view of the garden out the sliding glass doors. I'll miss the kids' cosy bedroom with the beds all pushed together, Spencer and Liesl's giggles as they hunted for "ghostes" in their play, and snacks of panda toast, white cheddar and muesli (not all at once). This house has more than filled our needs and has been the backdrop of some of the happiest times our family has ever had. Hard thinking that in another week, it will be empty, or someone else will be living here, using these plates and chairs and looking out my windows.

I'll miss the walk to the college, through avenues of trees which changed from green to gold to gone during our stay here. The pool at the Rec center. The big field where we played soccer and watched rugby and had picnics on the hills. I'll miss the beautiful river and its tranquil, scenic pathways and ruins. About a month ago Maggie planted an acorn in a pot that we placed in our kitchen window. It sprouted and we planted the graceful little seedling by the wooden throne along the river walk - someday we'll come see it again!

We gave Christy, our regular Sunday taxi driver, some frosted sugar cookies, and a book of Mormon with a picture of our family in it with all our contact information. I totally choked up as he drove us to church for the last time last Sunday! He's been good to us as well. Always on time, chatty, and kind. He showed up with boxes of chocolates for the kids as well. Good people here.

I'll miss Heather and the Botts - I almost feel bad leaving them here in this neighborhood full of students and transient renters. I'm sure they'll make more friends and do all kinds of good around the area, but, I know I'd be heartbroken if they left us! :-) Thanks Heather for all the good talks, outings, and recipe- and child-swapping. And for being a true friend!

I will NOT miss walking or biking to the grocery store, and taking the bus to get downtown. Can't wait to get my lovely car back!!!

I've been very happy here, enjoying the simple life of just keeping house and being Mom. Spence and I have gotten so close that I almost don't want to send him to preschool when we get back - what will I do without my little buddy? The girls have learned so much from school, and Gary's been stretched in all kinds of new ways. How have I grown you ask? My epiphanies include realizing that I needed to watch my everyday tone and make sure it is positive and happy. I need to keep working on not treating motherhood responsibilities as a chore and to do them better than I have been. I need to increase the humor and axe the grumpiness. And have FUN with my kids and husband as a priority to keeping a family together and happy. We've upped our family scriptural and spiritual dialog, and have set good habits that we are determined to continue. Amazing what time and absence of distractions will do for self-awareness!
Plus let's be honest - I just really don't want to have to go back to my house and unpack everything. Moving is very near the top of my "Least Favorite Things to Do" list.

A few years ago, I made a list of things I wanted to do before I died; among the "see the grandchildren" and "be to my kids' marriages" (hopefully not in that order), on the list was "visit Paris again" and "have one last trip to Maui." Since we were at the top of the Eiffel tower just over a month ago, and will be in Maui in about two weeks, guess I need to find some new dreams and fast! I've had so many dreams come true, so many wonderful (and stressful, and crazy, and growth-inducing) things happen to us. And I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment