Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Home Again Home Again

After almost five months of adventure and "vacation," it was so nice to come home to this sign, made by my dear friend Dawn, on our front porch. Within minutes of our being home, the house was crowded with Ricks, Flamms and Fransons welcoming us back (and helping us unload our car, and bringing us dinner...) It was so needed - thanks guys! More tender mercies. Because I wasn't at all sure I wanted to be back, and this really emotionally helped me make the transition.
The above suitcases represented three seasons, three different major trips (summer in Utah, fall in Ireland, Christmas in Utah and Maui) And this was just what was in my car. This doesn't include the whole room full of boxes stacked ceiling-high that we had to unpack!

I feel the need to sum up:
*four and a half months of travel. Unbelievable adventures. Tons of blessings. Guardian angels every step of the way.
*we never, not once had to see a doctor while we were gone. Excepting Gary's bum foot which was in a boot for three months, it was the healthiest we have collectively ever been. The kids missed days of school for our trips, but not for illness. More blessings. Until Spen got the flu in Maui, and within weeks of returning to Idaho's dry, very cold climate we've all been terribly sick at one time or another! I guess the reprieve is over...
*13 flights for the whole family, plus two more for Gary to England making it 15. That's a lot of ear-popping family fun! Card games (War) totally helped, as did the in-flight movies and Angry Birds on the IPod. And books, and sleep. And talks. And cuddles. And crayons and stickers. Whatever it takes!
*lots of different kinds of motion sickness, mostly Soph, Spen and me. The kids don't like Dramamine, but I personally will never fly without it again after the flight from SLC to LA en route to Maui. I would do it all again though - that was one wonderful trip!
*One happy but chubby dog when we got back. Bella's doing great though - we've both lost some weight since getting back to real life! She gets me out in the cold but beautiful country landscape to exercise the extra weight off our buns!
*three weeks of unpacking to do when we got home. Ugh.
*Gary thrilled to be back in his element at BYUI - he loves his job and was stoked to get back! We got the hot tub fired up as well, and he visits "Pearl" every day. Makes him feel so good!
*The strength of my kids as they did hard things I certainly never had to face at their age. I will never underestimate their capacity for adjusting to difficult situations, particularly Sophie who is tender, yes, but much stronger than I ever was as a child. They are amazing and better even for the wear of being dragged across ten different time zones, two continents, four countries and two schools each.
*Maggie was definitely in the wrong class in Ireland - when we got back she was behind in math just a little bit. Grr. We're playing catch-up, and luckily she's a quick study. Sophie's school here on the other hand is easier than it was in Ireland, but she did well both places. So proud of both of them! And of Spencer, who is now reading Dick and Jane at bedtime reading. By himself. I love you, Leap Pad Letter Factory DVD!
*The usefulness of a large electric kettle; we used ours daily in Ireland and I miss it here desperately, so I've ordered one from Amazon. Am anticipating its arrival with great delight!
*some heartbreak as I realize that the kids are forgetting a lot about their Irish experience already. I know it will always form a part of their development, and Maggie will especially be able to recall much of it. But today Sophie couldn't remember her friends' names from her class, except for Saorise. Heartbreaking, but natural I suppose. For me though, when I am down lately, Ireland is my happy place. I savor the memory of what it was like playing soccer with my kids in the big field by campus; walking along the Shannon, admiring the trees, petting the dogs on their walks and discovering ivy-clad ruins every hundred yards; watching my kids play with the O'Shea kids and the Botts kids; the sunshiny sound of Heather Bott's laugh, especially as we ate apple almond pudding and watched Downton Abbey; comparing life experiences with the Kellys and the Extons; Eva Kelly's delectably huge cheeks; Ann and Alex Kelly's kindness to me; my dear little black and white house and Deirdre and Liam who so kindly took care of us; savoring the many moods of Irish weather, and the way the clouds played among the low hills and the UL campus; how the peat fires smelled as I walked with Spencer and the green stroller to Lidl or SuperQuinn; the feel of the soft, chilly, perfectly humid Irish air; and how brilliantly the tree outside my bedroom window flamed with leaves all autumn long. All these little details that I cling to because I was so amazingly happy there. I don't want to forget any of it.
*We still have it great. Our life here in Idaho is wonderful. No complaints. The goal is to still keep my eyes out for those tender mercies because they are still all around me here. I am very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment