Sunday, March 24, 2013

How I Use My Essential OIls

As some of you know, I've signed up to be a doTerra essential oils consultant, not to sell the oils but to get them at the wholesale cost. I've wanted to learn more about oils since I saw one of our dancer's moms using them all the time when we were on tour in France. So I got myself the Family Physician's kit for Christmas, and am now a true believer! Not that I dislike or distrust modern medicine - I like anything that works. But if I can cure something at home without having to run to the doctor (who always just seem to prescribe antibiotics anyway), or keep my house clean with non-toxic cleaners, or not spread chemical-laden lotions all over my body when lovely-smelling, alkaline, antibacterial coconut oil works better anyway, so be it!

I will still be the first one in line though when it comes time to get an epidural during child birth. I'm not THAT crazy.


Here are some of the ways I've used them so far:

 doterra essential oils lavender lemon peppermint logo

*mood lifting - take a whiff of peppermint, Citrus bliss or Breathe.  Put drops on a cotton ball or hanky to keep scent nearby, like on your pillow at bedtime. The oils, plus the deep breathing, can help head off a headache.
*one drop of lemon in a glass of ice water... ahhhh
*night facial moisturizer: a dime's worth of coconut or almond oil, with two drops of melaleuca (tee tree) oil and and a drop of lavender, every night. Add a drop of frankincense during troubled times. Best thing for adult acne that I've ever found!
*3-4 drops of lemon oil in my sink with a natural dish soap (Swanson's brand is good) to wash dishes. Our dish washer is currently "broken" right now (ie we want our kids to do the dishes by hand as manual labor is good for the soul :-) ) so this is what we use.
*2-3 drops of Citrus Bliss on dryer sheets in my drawers makes for fresh smelling socks and unders
*OnGuard in my diffuser keeps Gary healthy! And we used Breathe in it last night in the kids' room since they all have coughs. Didn't hear a cough all night. This morning yes, but not last night.
*coconut oil, baking soda and Citrus bliss blended for deodorant. When I feel like I smell gross, I rub the mixture all over my body (usually without the baking soda though). Or you can use the following deodorant recipe:
 http://www.lexienaturals.com/2012/08/simple-homemade-deodorant.html
*Natural cleaner (works on windows):
16 oz. Spray Bottle (you can purchase one here.)
1 1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup distilled water
8 drops of any citrus oil of your choice (could use Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Wild Orange, or a combination)
*I also use Purify in a spray bottle to clean counters
*mix 1 cup baking soda with 10 drops peppermint and spread generously on mattresses, carpets, in a vehicle, anywhere. Let sit for an hour and then vacuum. Sanitizes stuff, keeps beds free from bugs, etc, and smells heavenly!
*few drops of lavendar or citrus bliss on dryer sheets (or wool dryer balls, which I just received from Amazon and will try out soon) to help laundry smell purty
*one drop basil on a cotton ball in your ear, with a drop of melaleuca just in front of your ear, will knock out an ear infection
*soak a tampon with coconut oil, 2 drops lavender,  and 2 drops melaleuca  and say goodbye to yeast infections. Also works on itching.
*drops of lime in any food or beverage requiring a lime taste, like in mint or Brazillian lemonade, or chicken tortilla soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment