Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Divine Del Mar


We just spent a week down in Nana and Papa's new place in Del Mar, CA (just north of San Diego) and it was jaw-dropping. Inlaid marble everything, a movie theater room, personal golf cart for getting around the resort (the Grand Del Mar), a grand piano you can program to play anything for you, private yard with hot tub, three gorgeous pools, a spa to die for, and the most dazzling palm trees I've ever seen. A private elevator and butler? Really? But where's my private lounge and pool boy? Oh, right there.

It is a really tough life.
A California sunset after dinner at Il Fornaio in Del Mar.

What's a trip to SoCal without Disneyland? Highlights: meeting up with dear LA friend Pam Welch, the ice cream sundaes at the Golden Horseshoe and a good dinner with Nana and Papa in the French Quarter, and hopping on to Peter Pan without a single second waiting in line!

The Fab Four: Haley Cranney, Gracie Hunter, Maggie, Katelyn Cranney

Poolside catering, a favorite with all the grandkids.

The Foyer (you must say it in a snobby French accent). The elevator's to the left, spiral staircase to the right. I kept expecting footmen to greet me at the door and give me back my glass slipper.

Our real favorite thing: playing constantly with the cousins! We actually had two villas this time, right next to each other. The Cranneys and Dave Hunters stayed in one, and the Lambs, us, and Nana and Papa, were in the other. We swam, rode the golf carts, put on plays, went on walks, and watched movies to our hearts' content! Kenneficks and Rochester Hunters, we missed you!!!!
When can we go back?

2 comments:

  1. Oh I've loved catching up with your life. Thanks for posting. :) I hope your bumper is fixed. Can I come sit in on Gary's Humanities class sometime? Or listen to the Elk down the street?

    And as for California, is this the new Swiss Oaks? When can I show up for all-night Scum?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is the trade off for Swiss Oaks. I had my doubts, but I'm pretty won over! We did have some rounds of Scum (Abby won but I was queen for a while) but since we're all parents now we retired at about 11 PM... what wusses we are!

    No the bumper is not fixed. We're going for the white trash look! It's amazing what some duct tape and zip ties can fix... ha ha I haven't really stooped that low ... yet...

    ReplyDelete