Sunday, October 13, 2013

Let Summer Begin!

So I was so organized and ready for summer to start this year! I laminated daily "to do" lists for each child, with things like "brush teeth at least twice", "create something," "play something," "read 2 fiction and one non-fiction book per week and report on them to mom", "serve someone", "tell mom you love her" and three daily chores at different times. Worked like a charm for the first month - my kids like lists and like to check them off themselves, and I never heard "mom, I'm bored!" Sometimes it pays to think ahead. Especially as they had to be self-motivated as we had two international tours coming up that G and I had to plan for!

 Free at last - Spence loves summer!
 I don't have a pic exactly of this, but Gar would often make milkshakes (or sherbet floats) on Sunday nights and we'd sit on our front porch and admire the world, watching people ride their horses or 4-wheelers up and down the street, and chatting to people going on walks below. We have a great neighborhood!

The reward for doing all those chores was horseback rides, one every week with Julie Kimpel of West View Acres. Even I got back up on a horse! I had forgotten though how tricky managing a horse can be. It's harder than it looks!

 The Boston Lambs came and visited us for a few days, and we initiated them to Leo's Place. And Austin and Gabe to laser tag.
 Dad was still working hard at school though. He and Bella are both worn out at the end of the day!
 Each kid has an animal chore per day. Sophie feeds Bella, Maggie walks Bella, and Spence feeds Snickers the cat. And sometimes himself.
 We love Bella!
Okay, sometimes - not often, but sometimes - I am a really cool crafty mom. We made these little boat portal window one afternoon (thank you pinterest) and then watched Finding Nemo. Somehow movies always make their way into our family culture - we really love them.

 Family night at Applebees! With free face painting. Spencer and Gary watched The Avengers together (editing parts, I hope!) and Spence has had a thing for the Hulk ever since.

 Breakfast in bed one Saturday? Yes thank you, my prodigiously awesome offspring!
 I got to help Redge and Saralyn with their Color in Motion race here in Rexburg - had a great time pushing merchandise with Sar, Dawn Goodnough, and Stephanie Ricks, and enjoying the vibrant, colorful energy!
 We love Redge and Sar!

No comments:

Post a Comment