Saturday, September 17, 2011

Dashing Dublin! Or, Dashing Through Dublin!

I know it will relieve you all to know that I am finally legal - my new passport is in my hands and I have an identity again! Yay! To get that mess fixed though I had to go to Dublin (darn it). Gary held down the fort at home while I took the three-hour express bus into town for a day of Dublin delights (after a sweaty hour at the US Embassy, pouring out the tale of my innocent stupidity to the very nice people who worked there). Must mention the potato soup and the Caesar salad I had at a hotel while walking back from the Embassy - both the best I've ever had! I love Dublin!I took buses to the Embassy but walked back to the train station, hitting most of the important sights to be seen on the way. Here is me with the statue of Molly Malone. Dublin's unofficial anthem is "Molly Malone" - we heard it at Bunratty and downloaded it (along with Irish Eyes, Danny Boy and I'll Tell Me Ma) so we could fit in the next time someone broke out in song and we were expected to sing along. This statue of Molly is also known as The Tart and the Cart.
Lovely Christ Church Cathedral, the first cathedral of Ireland and over 1,000 years old.
I am fascinated by the Georgian doors all over neighborhoods in Dublin and Limerick; each building looks just the same (5 stories, red brick) but the doors are all individual. I loved picking out my favorites.
Here's the corner between the Bank of Ireland building on the left and Trinity College on the right. What a stimulating place to be educated! Not to mention the ginormous Guiness factory I passed on my way to the station - it was HUGE! The Irish are fond of their Guiness, that's for sure!
Feeding the swans at St. Stephen's Green, a lovey, tranquil patch of green and flowers by Trinity College.
Walking through the Dublin streets was constantly surprising - flowers were everywhere, and all sorts of architecture are represented. It's a very architecturally creative city, which was delightful to experience again. Rexburg is many wonderful things, but "architecturally creative" is not one of them. I was so stimulated by being surrounded with art and history at every turn.
Thank you Dublin!

No comments:

Post a Comment